Monday, February 28, 2011

The Calling 2.0

In December of 2009 I bought a journal (with my buddy Ryan aka Chef). My hope was to jam out ideas for the mythology and story structure of a novel. Well the novel became a series. Qualia is the first book it will be followed by The Seer, The Devourer, The Fall, Nomad and The Return. The Calling is the name of the series that these books are in.

I graduated from college (undergrad) March 2010 and immediately began looking for work and the pickins were slim as they say. So while I volunteered, took up domestic responsibilities (as the unwashed normally do) and looked for work, I also began the manic process of writer's possession. I couldn't stop writing Qualia even if I wanted to.

Qualia, the first book, is about Eden Monaghan. Eden is a 32 year old disgruntled retail employee that isn't very pleased with how his life has turned out. Eden awakens one morning and his life turns into a nightmare of visual psychotic delusions. What is proposed as a possible psychotic break becomes an awakening to ancient powers known as 'The Calling'.

The rest will have to wait for it to be published. I am in the middle of sending out queries and trying the old traditional route of publishing, but if that doesn't work I'm going to eBook Qualia and continue on writing the rest of the series. I am currently writing The Seer, chapter 2. Qualia is in its 5th draft, needed to put it down for a bit and write something fresh before I can edit further.

I am also editing my first novel, The Storm Before My Calm, with hopes of publishing a 2nd edition. Back in the day self publishing gave the author less control than it does now, and to be honest I was pretty hubristic back then and didn't properly edit my novel before publication. Now, almost ten years later, I have the opportunity to go back and clean it up. I have no desire to change the prose, because I wrote this book when I was 16 and this world, like Narnia to a Pevensie, is only accessible through the mind of a teenager. I have no right to go through and muck with my younger self's life, but I can make sure things are spelled correctly and give it a decent cover.

If you wanna check out the first edition it is available at amazon.com and bn.com ISBN 0595215599.

So this is my first real blog entry here at blogspot. I just stole my other blogs from their original homes because I wanted everything here in one place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment